- Postgres-XL | Open Source Scalable SQL Database Cluster http://www.postgres-xl.org/
However, such enhancement which consists of several PostgreSQL servers is a bit difficult to try for newbies because of the complicated deployment procedures.
So, I'd like to introduce a deployment toolkit I have created to deploy and test a "minimal" Postgres-XL cluster. It consists of chef cookbook and serverspec script.
There are a few assumptions to install Postgres-XL with this toolkit.
- It needs RHEL6/CentOS6 distro.
- It depends on the Internet connection -- because it uses yum and gem.
- It requires Chef solo and serverspec to be available.
- It would have 1 GTM, 1 Coordinator, and 1 Data node within one box.
- "GTM", a process for global transaction management
- "Coordinator", a process for accepting user connectoins
- "Data node", a process for processing disk I/O
Ok, it's show time! (It's strongly recommended to watch the hi-res edition on Vimeo.com)
Deploying Postgres-XL in 2 minutes from uptimejp on Vimeo.
The Chef cookbook and the serverspec test scripts are available on Github:
- snaga/pgxl-deployment-tools https://github.com/snaga/pgxl-deployment-tools/
This toolkit can handle only the minimal deployment so far. But I'm supposed to hack it to deploy a larger cluster which supports several separated servers.
At least, you can install a minimal Postgres-XL deployment. Please try it if you're interested in Postgres-XL and MPP technology.
And of course, any feedback (or any pull-requests) are welcome. :)